These receipts are more like “guidelines” they will give you free rein to add or subtract whatever your taste buds desire.
- Texas Caviar- a can of black beans and black-eyed peas drained and rinsed, a can of white corn drained and rinsed, small jar pimentos chopped, ½ large red onion chopped, stick of celery chopped, small can jalapenos chopped, set aside. For the dressing, heat ½ C Apple Cider Vinegar, ½ C Olive Oil and ½ C sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Pour over bean mixture and refrigerate.
- Kim’s Pico – olive oil, 1 small clove garlic, S&P, plum tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno, avocado, lime, cilantro and mix. Great recipe for chips or as a topping on any protein.
- Side Salads
- Orzo Pasta Salad- Cook orzo to the box directions. Mix in tomatoes, basil, olives, feta, cucumbers or any veggies you like. Dress with a vinaigrette.
- Tortellini Pasta Salad- Cook tortellini to the box directions. Mix in black olives, cut salami and cheese into bite size pieces, tomatoes, a can of banana peppers (juice reserved). Dress with a vinaigrette using some of the reserved juices from the banana peppers.
Feeling lazy or running short of time, a bottle of Italian dressing will work too for both recipes.
- Main Dish
- Kabobs- choose a protein and your favorite veggies. Mix together a marinade using similar ingredients to a vinaigrette making sure to use fresh herbs. For white meat or seafood use citrus flavors, red meat use savory or spicy flavors. In a zip lock bag place the meat and veggies marinate in the fridge for a few hours. The acid in the marinate will begin to cook the protein so be mindful not to over marinate. Before layering the skewers make sure to soak them in water for an hour.
- Pork Carnitas Tacos – SLOW COOKER RECIPE! 4-5 Pound boneless pork roast trimmed and cut into chunks, 1 C beer (or stock), 1 medium onion, diced, 4 cloves of garlic minced, 1 TBS chipotle powder (or 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, minced), 2 TSP cumin, S&P, 1 TSP chili powder. Add to slow cooker, stir to combine and cook on low 6-8 hrs. or high 4-5 hrs. Preheat broiler. Line 2 sheet pans with foil. Shred meat and place on prepared sheet pans. Leave the juices in the slow cooker but do not discard. Broil one sheet pan at a time for 5 minutes. Ladle about ¼ of juices over meat and broil again to crisp up the meat a bit. Ladle one last bit of juice at the end. Serve in a taco, burrito, or even on a salad.
- Sandwich Roll-Ups – What you will need, large tortillas shell in any flavor, cream cheese, spices (can use ranch packet, taco seasoning) then choice your favorite deli meat, cheese and veggies. Make sure you cream cheese is soft, mix in your spices. Spread the cream cheese mixture on the tortilla shell then layer your veggies, meat and cheese in a thin layer. Roll it up and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour. Then cut into ½ inch slices.
- Frozen Banana Pops- Ingredients: A bunch of bananas, yogurt, chocolate chips, peanut butter, toppings (sprinkles, cereal, mini chocolate chips) and sticks. Prepare a sheet pan with wax paper. Cut bananas in half, insert stick into the end. Coat banana with yogurt, chocolate or peanut butter then sprinkle on whatever toppings you like. Place on prepared sheet pan and freeze for an hour or more.
- Strawberry Jell-O Cake- 1 box of white cake mix, 1 box of strawberry Jell-O, whip cream, and fresh strawberries. Bake cake according to box directions. Cool cake completely. Once cake is cool use a straw or skewer to poke holes all over the cake. Prepare the Jell-O by boiling 1 C. of water and dissolving the Jell-O. Pour Jell-O over cake and refrigerate for a couple hours. Top with whip topping and fresh cut strawberries.
- Thirst Quenching Strawberry-Lemonade- 1 bottle of Simply Lemonade (or your favorite brand), fresh strawberries and ice. Blend. Add sprig of mint.
- Infused Water- Add fruit, cucumber, lemon or lime to your water and mint.