When it comes to choosing windows for their home, many homeowners are becoming increasingly more energy-conscious to reduce cooling and heating costs. Generally, there are four factors to consider when selecting an energy-efficient window style – design, glass, frame, and installation.
Choosing the Most Energy Efficient Windows
Although many people know that wood frames are not as susceptible to cold and heat transfer as aluminum frames, that does not necessarily mean they are the best choice. There are many materials for you to choose from and each one has its own unique pros and cons.
Below is a list of some different types of windows you may want to consider for your energy-efficient home:
- Wood: Although wood window frames provide the best insulative value, they tend to require greater upkeep than other materials. For those living in an area with higher humidity or substantial rainfall, there is also a bigger potential for rot. That said, a well-built wooden frame can weather many of these problems and ultimately stand the test of time.
- Vinyl: Vinyl may be less expensive than most other materials, but it is not cheap in quality. In addition to being more budget-friendly, a well-made vinyl window provides great energy-efficient benefits owed due to its tight construction.
- Aluminum: In terms of heat transfer, aluminum is not a top-performing material. However, they are very practical for rainy and humid climates.
Homeowners should also consider a window’s design when weighing their energy-efficient options.
Below is a list of some energy-efficient designs:
- Picture windows: Depending on the glass you choose, picture windows can potentially be energy efficient. Although they do not usually open, they come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes.
- Casement windows: Particularly useful in windy climates, this type of design seals off tighter when winds blow in toward the house.
- Double-hung windows: Although this design is traditional in many homes and offers some energy-efficient benefits, it might not be ideal for extreme climates.
Get Started with a Free Estimate Today!
Choosing the right windows for your home can make a big difference in its overall comfort, energy efficiency, style, and more. At Marshall Exteriors, LLC, our trusted window replacement company always seeks to do what is best for your project, so you can feel confident we will assist you in making the right choice for your home.
Call us today at (315) 322-9686 to request a free estimate.